CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Staying Single

In America, half of people choose staying songle now. More women are unmarried (48%) than men (44%). In the 1950s and 1960s, men were marrying at 23, and women at 20. In 1998, it was only slightly higher, 27 for men and 25 for women. The reason for staying single is women no longer need husbands to support them, and men no longer need wives to cook and clean. Divorce rate is 50%. In Japan, 25-29 year old women's unmarried percentage is 54% and 25-29 year old men's is 69.5%. Unmarried-for-life women are 5.8% and men are 12.4%. The reason for staying single is the same reason for men and women. They think, act, and live freely. The divorce rate is 30%. Staying single and divorce rate will increase. Most of my classmates said staying single is freedom. They can save money, they don't have to worry about anyone and it's not necessary to pay attention etc. But they think staying single is lonely and they can't speak to anyone. My opinion for staying single is the same opinion as my classmates. In America, 50% of people choose staying single and 50% of the married people divorce. It is interesting for me to look at these result.

I asked 2 Americans, Kim and Melissa. They had similar opinions. Kim said permanently single people don't know anyone who they would like to have a romantic relationship with and they can be content by themselves, but they are lonely. Melissa said permanently single people don't want to have trouble and they can live more easily, but they are lonely. Both of them think staying single is lonely, and my classmates had the same reason too. In America half of people want to be unmarried, but Kim and Melissa seem to want marriage. I think 2 Americans and my classmates had similar answers and I think so too. My class is international, so opinion of staying single is common worldwide, I thought. I was interested in these reasons.

Chiemi Fukunaga

0 comments: